How to Pick Your Contractor
Choosing a contractor can be a difficult experience. Here’s a checklist of what to look for when choosing someone to come into your home and space.
With Critchfield Construction, you can check off everything on the list:
- Is the contractor registered in the state of Pennsylvania. To find out, ask for their registration number, then call the Pa Attorney General at 1-888-520-6680.
or or check on line at http://www.attorneygeneral.gov/hic.aspx
- Are they insured for workers compensation and general liability? Are the specialty trade contractors (subcontractors) insured? Ask for certificate of insurance to be sure.
- Will they provide a written contract (as required by Pa Law) with detailed specifications, including a start & completion date, as well as the 3 day right of rescission?
- (Recision is the ability to cancel the contract for any reason within three days of signing the contract.)
- Do they provide a written warranty on their work?
- Does he have a written change order policy for variation in the scope of work, hidden, unknown conditions as outlined in the contract?
- Will they provide customer references and supplier lists?
- Will the workers clean up the job site daily?
- Is there someone in the office to take calls?
- Do they have background check and drug testing policy for all employees & subs?
- Will they obtain all the necessary permits for your project?
- Is the contractor a member of any professional trade organizations?
- Are they in a good standing with the the Better Business Bureau (BBB)?
By taking the time to research your contractor’s history, expertise, associations and references, you can avoid a variety of issues that could occur during the course of your extensive project.